Life Skills Instructor (Metairie)
Offline Instructor/Student Liaison
Reports to the Chief Academic Officer (CAO)
12 month position 8:30am-4:00pm
Job Purpose Statement/s: The position of Offline Instructor/Student Liaison is responsible for teaching coursework offline, including, but not limited to Journey to Careers and Customer Service. This position is also responsible for providing support to help students stay enrolled in school through graduation and works closely with the Student Success Coordinator to assist students with the transition from high school to the workforce and/or post-secondary education.
Key Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
Proactively engages parents and/or legal guardians for the purpose of communicating expectations; student's achievements; developing methods for improvement and/or reinforcing classroom goals in the home environment.
Encourages a student culture where diversity is supported and where students learn to respect differences, take responsibility for their actions, and exercise leadership.
Implements strategies that will motivate and inspire students to succeed and stay in school through graduation
Assesses, monitors, and tracks the needs of individual students
Maintains career and college information center
Participates in a variety of meetings and professional development activities for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions.
Other responsibilities as assigned
Teaching Journey to Careers course, Customer Service course, and other coursework as designated through curriculum development
Using differentiated instruction techniques to increase student success
Provides appropriate curriculum and ensures students achieve specific school driven competencies through classroom instruction
Manages a learning environment that is student focused, and provides individualized instruction and support
Assists with the enforcement of the school's student behavioral policies including, but not limited to assisting with Personal Improvement Plans (PIPs); assists in the planning, developing, and implementation of individual student behavior plans
Develops programs to promote positive student behavior as well as intervention strategies.
Develops, monitors, and implements campus-wide Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) system
Advising, Testing, & Transition Assistance
Recommends new initiatives to meet students' needs to facilitate a successful transition into the workforce and/or post-secondary education
Assists students with registration and preparation for appropriate standardized testing required for post-secondary education
Assisting in developing and delivering remediation to prepare students for high-stakes testing
Serves as a mentor for designated students
Employer Marketing & Community/Stakeholder Relations
Builds community partnerships that enhance school programs and services
Creates and implements an Employer Marketing plan to ensure students have access to work-based learning opportunities while still enrolled at JCFA as well as potential employment opportunities after graduation.
Engages community stakeholders to assist students with contacts for mentors, internships, and job opportunities.
Strong candidates for this position will:
• Have a minimum three years demonstrated success teaching at-risk students in either high school or in post-secondary education, and a current 6-12 Louisiana Teacher Certification or working towards a secondary certification
• Be proficient in the subject area he/she instructs
• Documented successful use of individualized instruction and developing a learning environment that provides each student an opportunity to be successful
• Have an eagerness to contribute as an integral part of a start-up team focused on a holistic delivery of excellent teaching
• Exhibit excellent classroom management skills
• Be proficient in the use of technology as a curriculum tool
• Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Understand how to use data to drive instruction, and demonstrate how he/she has used specific data to support an individual student's academic success
• Share a willingness to work in a non-traditional environment with at-risk students, dedicated to achieving a high school diploma
• Possess a true passion for working with young adults, and demonstrate a belief that all students deserve a supportive environment in which to succeed academically
To apply, please send your resume and three letters of reference to: Anne Katherine Lene', Chief Academic Officer, JCFA-East: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting ID: 4156877445